Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hope and Foals


This time of year one of my favorite things to do in the evening is look out the window of our home and watch the baby horses play in the field.  As they run and interact with the world around them its exciting to see their personality start to develop.  This year we have one little filly that is a social butterfly, she seems to spend more time over visiting her friends than with her mom.  At times her mother is in the back pasture while she is in the front.  She is worry free and very brave.  Her best friend is a mommy’s girl, always happy to play but never to far from mom.  One of our newest is a very cute palomino colt.  Younger than his pasture buddies he is timid around the other foals, but loves to pick on mom.  He is often climbing on her, kicking at her, and doing anything else to bug her.  Full of energy and life when in his comfort zone but shy in a crowd, he is brave but bashful.

I love the hope and optimism each one of them brings to my life.  They are full of potential.  They are different colors and some show great natural athletic ability others kindness and some are a bit wild.  They all however have the world before them and I am sure one of them will be a futurity champion.  This is why I breed horses to see them have a chance to succeed, hoping they can reach their full potential.


I have one very special baby outside my window she has it all looks, talent, and a very solid mind.  Her sire is my favorite horse in the world and her mother is the only horse that I love more than my favorite horse in the world.  She is my special foal, a gift to me from above.  Years of faith, hope, and financial investment are resting in her.  I know that she is special.  I also know that her full sister is at summer pasture and I will start riding her this fall and that inside her mom grows another, we are hoping for a boy this time.  They are my hope and optimism. 

Eternal optimism is the gift that runs around in my pasture every spring.  A gift too few people are seeing today.  The talking heads can argue and fight their wars on women and the bucket list of hot topics.  They can try to paint a picture of doom and gloom that only their party can fix.  The wise horseman however knows that the real solution is outside the window in a little package with long wobbly legs that run and play.  Optimism is the horse breeders eternal gift every spring and its what we need to find more of this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment